Step 1: Apply for Tuition Assistance Eligibility

1. Click on PASSHE PDO Application.


2. Complete the Application. You are required to complete the first page of this online application, which determines your eligibility for tuition assistance. 

Eligibility Requirements:

  • Be a Pennsylvania resident.
  • Be a current employee at a certified child care program in Pennsylvania for three (3) months or more, or demonstrate employment history of six (6) months in child care if newly hired. (Participants actively enrolled in PDO activities will not be impacted by a change of employer, as long as the new employer is a certified child care program.)
  • Work a minimum of 25 hours/week directly in a certified child care program.
  • Earn no more than the maximum hourly earning limit of $25.00/hour (or $52,000/year) if you are a child care director.
  • Earn no more than the maximum hourly earning limit of $21.63/hour (or $45,000/year) if you are a child care teacher, assistant teachers, or aide.
  • Be interested to pursue coursework at a participating college, university, or other educational partner toward a Child Development Associate (CDA) Credential or an
    Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree.
  • GPA and course grades meet transfer requirements; a watch plan is developed for participants who do not meet transfer requirements.
  • Sign a Pennsylvania Early Childhood Education Commitment Form.

You may find it helpful to complete this application with your center director or our Early Childhood Education (ECE) Professional Development Coordinators.

Next, advance through the entire application and click “Submit” at the end.

3. A Professional Development Coordinator will contact you to:

  1. Confirm your eligibility for tuition assistance.
  2. Guide you through the application at a PDO partner university, college, or program.
  3. Help you to register for classes.

Be sure to check your spam folder. It main contain an email from one of these Professional Development Coordinators.

Step 2: Speak to Your PD Coordinator, then Apply to an Education Partner

What a great opportunity to advance!

As an early child care professional/student, you can access numerous partner institutions of higher education and programs to earn your Child Development Associate (CDA) credential, Associate’s degree, or Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education at no or low cost!

Before you apply to an education partner, be sure to speak with a Professional Development Coordinator who can help you navigate any fees that may be waived.


Step 3: Register for Courses

Class offerings at all education partners may change each semester. Check with Professional Development Coordinators or education partners for details!